Friday 21 March 2014

Construction Project Day #12

Today in the studio I decided to STRIP it down to just my fluorescent lamps, using them to make shapes of light in an attempt to simplify my arrangements and build sculptures from them as formal structures.

My first arrangement shows two triangles, one on top of each other, held up only by one clip against the wall of my studio. The top triangle consists of the primary colours and the bottom the secondary colours. The lines of the top and bottom triangles correspond with their complimentary colours, i.e. red and green on the left.

 

My second arrangement was wall-based, yet protruded out into the space. Held together by a single white fluorescent stick (not switched on), this piece allowed the viewer to move around it, get behind it, gauging it in a completely different way to the first piece. One of my favorites of today's work.


I then made a suspended triangle, which started life as a floor-based piece. I suspended the stick-light triange from a cable attached to the studio ceiling. The weight of the lights against the fragility of the single cable holding the structure up offered a tension between the two elements.



On another day, I would be interested to trial another simple shape, watch this space...


No comments:

Post a Comment