Thursday 19 September 2013

DAY 3 of Install - On Brown and Violet Grounds

The first thing I was keen to see upon returning to Piccadilly Place yesterday morning was if the banner was still up. It turns out the sticky hooks I bought did the job and all is well.

 

Yesterday was all about refining and rearranging what I had laid out and devised the day before. I am literally drawing in the space, moving each element of the installation a foot or two until I am satisfied it works in harmony with the details and feel of the Piccadilly Place unit. 

In one particular work (I don't want to give too much away - so I am afraid all you can see is this weeny snapshot below), reflections of the ceiling are multiplied when the viewer explores the work and looks into the mirrors laid over the light source. This piece also draws attention to the grimy concrete floor by spreading coloured light outwards onto it. This work was devised from a drawing which I made earlier this summer.


In another work - that I spent a few hours tweaking, the light source is partially covered allowing for a painterly outcome.


The third work has come directly from this years Macclesfield's Barnaby Festival, where I was commissioned to make a new work through their Arts Council England supported programme. Later in the week I will re-position and re-interpret this piece within Piccadilly Place. So far the three light-boxes have been rewired and plugged in to see how much light they throw out in their new home. It is still to be decided where they will be positioned in the vast space.


The forth and final installation work in 'On Brown & Violet Grounds' will take its shape during my 10 day 'residency'. I have been playing with the sticklights (which make up this piece) making them into different configurations. I am really pleased with how these trials are turning out, but am keeping the outcome a secret, for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment